Gary J. Mayerhofer, City Manager
City of Crystal Lake Mission Statement
The City of Crystal Lake is committed to the high quality of life enjoyed by the citizens and businesses of the Crystal Lake community. Our mission is to enhance and preserve the history, natural resources and unique cultural traditions of the community as well as provide fiscally sound and responsive services, programs, and facilities with the highest degree of professionalism, integrity, and efficiency so that Crystal Lake continues to be a great place to live and work.
Function and Staffing
The City Manager is appointed by the City Council and is the Chief Executive Officer of the City. The City Manager coordinates the implementation of the City Council policy decisions and the initiation of all intergovernmental operations of the City. The City Manager is responsible for directing the various departments and providing guidance in the implementation of the mandates of the City Council.
The City Manager also represents the City with outside governmental agencies, presents an annual budget to the City Council, and coordinates a variety of public information resources for both internal and public distribution. In addition, the City Manager is responsible for the long-range planning for the organization and the development of recommendations to the City Council on a variety of public policy issues.
More specifically, the City Manager is responsible for the following:
- Enforce all laws and Ordinances of the City Council and ensure that all franchises, contracts, permits and privileges granted by the City Council are faithfully observed.
- Appoint, remove, promote, and demote any and all officers and employees of the City, including the City Attorney and City Treasurer, except elected officials, subject to all applicable personnel rules and regulations which may be adopted by the City Council.
- Control, order, and give directions to all department heads who are subject to his appointment and removal authority and to subordinate officers and employees of the City under his jurisdiction through their department heads.
- Conduct studies and affect such organization and reorganization of offices, positions or units under his direction as may be indicated in the interest of efficient, effective, and economical conduct of the City's business.
- Recommend to the City Council for adoption such measures and Ordinances as he deems necessary.
- Attend all meetings of the City Council.
- Prepare and submit the proposed annual budget and the proposed annual salary plan to the City Council for its approval.
- Keep the City Council fully advised at all times as to the financial condition and needs of the City.
- Make investigations into the affairs of the City and any department or division thereof, and any contract or other obligation of the City; and further, investigate all complaints in relation to matters concerning the administration of the City government and in regard to the service maintained by public utilities in the City.
- Exercise general supervision over all public buildings and all other public properties, which are under the control and jurisdiction of the City.
- Have the same authority as the Mayor, as the convenience of the parties may dictate, to sign documents whenever such documents have been approved by the City Council for execution by Resolution or other appropriate action.
- Perform other such responsibilities and exercise other such powers as may be delegated to him from time to time by Ordinance or Resolution or other official action of the City Council.
The City Manager and his staff also handle special projects and City Council assignments which do not fall within the jurisdiction of any other City department.
Contact the City Manager’s Office